Masconomet Regional Ski Team Team Building and Leadership Development Ski Retreat
Michael Caron is not only the Founder and CEO of Get Burly LLC (a leader in team building and leadership development) but also a Masconomet Alumni where he was a standout 3 sport athlete. Michael is a Teach For America Graduate, has attained a Masters Degree in Education, has taught in Public Schools for 18 years, is Navy SealFit Certified, a member of the Power Systems Team, A certified Alpha Warrior Military Coach, Spartan SGX certified, a certified Unbeatable Mind Coach, and has attended the Child Light Yoga, and Bigger, Faster, Stronger certification clinics. After coaching 40 seasons of high school sports and winning multiple league and state championships including two trips to Gillette to coach in the super bowl he has taken all the lessons learned along the way to create a team building and leadership development program that has been met with incredible success! We are excited to bring this program home to Masconomet!
This years program will consist of 1 day of team building at Camp Denison in Georgetown on Dec 11 and then one day of Skiing at Killington Mountain.
Dec 11: This will be a full day of total team
Commitment. Through our exercises the team we will forge an unbreakable bond and develop a shared sense of purpose and collective unity leading into the upcoming season.
Day 1- student athletes will need the following:
- Dress in athletic clothing. We will definitely be exercising.
- Personal water bottle (we will have jugs of water for them to refill)
- We will be having local healthy farm fresh organic Flatbread pizza for lunch! If anyone has dietary restrictions that prevents them from eating this please plan accordingly and bring your own lunch.
- Camp Denison is Located off Nelson St in Georgetown. The exact address is 84 Nelson St. Players can park on site and or parents can drop off in the parking lot. My staff will be there!
General Itinerary(subject to slight changes based on coaches input and team needs)
Day 1: Dec 11 am to 5 pm
Where: Camp Denison 84 Nelson St. Georgetown Ma
• Arrive 11 am: Check in and get situated in the classroom at the Camp Denison.
• 11:15 am: introductions of staff and players. Whip around where we get the temperature of the room and how everyone is feeling. Introductions of players(name, grade, why are you here? Introduction of Get Burly staff and program- review tenets of the program: Passion, Realization, and commitment.
Feed the courage wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack, what being a good teammate is all about.
• 11:30 am what’s your why
- 11:45 Warm-Up/ Team Stretch
• 12:00- Importance of leading and following(times for each)
Review echo count and 4 count systems commence team building and leadership development activities (ready to lead….ready to follow) importance of each. This activity will be conducted outside where each member will display leadership within the team environment.
• 12:45 introduction of Box Breathing. Developing emotional resilience (control your breath, control your thoughts, control your actions) Developing mastery of the controllable aspects of skiing and of life.
• 1:00 Group Plank Challenge –breathe in- breathe out- easy day- we got this ……Masconomet slogan. Working together to achieve common goals. Here we are developing total team commitment.
• 1:15 lunch break
• 1:45 return to classroom: debrief on leadership exercise and how it relates to the team environment during practices and games throughout the ski season. Review how this concept impacts both Individual and Team Goals. The group will write down three of each being reminded that individual goals come within the structure of team goals. Here we are striving for true understanding that "there is no I in TEAM but there is an I in wIn and that I stands for Individual responsibility to TEAM goals.
• 2:30- Dynamic warm-up
• 3:00 Teambuilding activities
• 3:30 fireside chat ceremony. Here the players are making grounded and committed statements of character and integrity in a supportive team environment.
• 4:00- return to classroom For non negotiables. Agreed upon rules the players will hold each other accountable to and goals they will support each other in reaching.
• 4:30 group presentations.
• 5:00 closing comments. Group photo and team dismissal.
Day 2 When: Dec 12 6 am to 8 pm
Where: Student athletes will load up the bus at Masco parking lot
Day 2- student athletes will need the following:
- Dress in comfortable clothing for bus ride. Some student athletes like to bring pillows etc. athletic clothing.
- Personal water bottle
- Packed lunch/snacks and discretionary spending money for snacks or food at Killington
- All necessary ski gear and equipment. Double check everything the night before.
- Completely charged cell phone and back up charger
- Comfortable clothes for after skiing and the bus ride home
Day 2 Itinerary
6 am: Check in and load up the bus
• 6:15 am: Depart for Killington Mountain
-continued team building building off day 1 on the bus ride
• 9:00 am arrival at mountain - unload, gear up, review check points.
• 9:15 am morning ski session
• 12:00 lunch
• 1:00 pm afternoon ski session
• 3:00 pm group check in
• 3:30 pm load up the bus for return to Masco
• 7:00-8:00 pm arrive back to Masco- student athletes will text parents advance notice of arrival time.